Chelugui was Water Cabinet Secretary during the Jubilee Government who on Wednesday 4th December of 2019 was summoned to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations headquarters questioning. The Water Cabinet Secretary Simon Chelugui was being treated as a suspect in the controversial 28.9 billion Itare Dam project after it emerged that advance payments were made to a contractor who failed to complete the dam under his watch.
Mr Chelugui, spent half of the day at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters, was asked 120 questions relating to the failed projects. Mr Chelugui, who was not accompanied by a lawyer, was asked to return to Kiambu Road the following morning as the detectives felt he had not responded adequately to their questions.
He recorded what insiders called a long statement on what he knew about the saga.
He arrived there at around 7.30 am. It was the first time Chelugui was facing the detectives who have been gathering evidence about the case. He had in the past denied any wrongdoing in the saga.
Itare Dam was projected to serve around 800,000 people in Nakuru, Kuresoi, Molo and Rongai.
Officials say it is a case similar to the Arror and Kimwarer dams saga for which suspended Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich and his Principal Secretary Kamau Thugge were prosecuted. Rotich and Thugge, alongside 26 co-accused, denied the graft charges.
Sh11.5 billion was paid for the stalled project in Nakuru, but investigators say there is nothing to show for the money.
Chelugui had said remaining works at Itare will be sub-contracted to a third party after the current contractor filed for bankruptcy.
Chelugui said the contractor will nominate another company to execute the remaining work without altering the initial cost.
DPP Noordin Haji and DCI George Kinoti had visited the site and declared only 10 per cent of the work had been done. Works had stalled and up to 70 cars seconded to the company had been confiscated in the probe.
Managers at Barclays Bank have also been questioned over the purchase of the cars for the project.
But according to the ministry, the 57-metre-high dam with 28 million-cubic-metre storage, whose construction started on April 6, 2017, had been 43 per cent complete.